Rules of The Court
The Supreme Court has its own Rules and Practice Directions which replace the Civil, Criminal and Taxation Practice Directions and standing orders of the Appellate Committee of the House of Lords.
These Rules are contained in a statutory instrument which was laid before Parliament on 1 July 2009. The Practice Directions issued by the President of The Supreme Court are available on this website.
Please see the full Rules of The Supreme Court 2009 and consult the following sections for detailed information.
- Applications for permission to appeal: rules 10 - 17
- Commencement and preparation of appeal: rules 18 - 26
- Hearing and decision of appeal: rules 27 - 29
- Further general provisions: rules 30 - 39
- Particular appeals and references: rules 40 – 44
- Fees and costs: rules 46 - 54
- Transitional arrangements: rule 55