Revised Practice Directions
Changes that have come into effect from April 2015
1 April 2015
1. This note outlines the changes which are made to the Practice Directions for the Supreme Court.
The Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015 extends the circumstances in which appeals may lie direct to the Supreme Court. Under the new arrangements appeals can be brought from the High Court, the Upper Tribunal, the Employment Appeal Tribunal and the Special Immigration Appeals Commission. The provisions in Practice Directions 1, 2 and 3 which relate to leapfrog appeals are amended to reflect the new statutory provisions.
3. The Rules make specific provision for cases in which the Appellant is publicly funded and seeks approval before filing in the Supreme Court. But Respondents and other parties often have difficulties complying with relevant time limits and the Registry is always prepared to assist in such circumstances. Paragraph 2.1.15 of Practice Direction 2 is amended to encourage parties in these circumstances to seek guidance from the Registry and paragraph 8.12.5 is also amended to highlight this point.
4. Paragraph 6.2.2 is amended to require the order of speeches and timetable for the hearing to be submitted at least 3 working days before the hearing. Problems have arisen in the past where timetables have been filed shortly before the hearing date.
5. Paragraph 6.5.2 is amended to make it clear that the indexes must be included in the pagination of the volumes of authorities.
6. Practice Direction 6 is also amended to emphasise that, where the parties consider that a different order or arrangement of the volumes of authorities would be of greater assistance to the Court than that provided by the Practice Directions, that order or arrangement should be adopted.
7. Paragraph 6.6.9 is amended to reflect the fact that hearings are now streamed on the Court's website and paragraph 8.17.1 of Practice Direction 8 is also amended to explain the arrangements for making footage available.
8. The guideline rates in Section 3 of Practice Direction 13 are revised to reflect changes made in the Senior Courts Costs Office where "national rate 3" has been merged with "national rate 2"